Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pausing....












            I came to a bit of a halt in my nursery decorating over the past few weeks. This is where it stands right now. I've pickled plain frames pink to put family photos in to hang in a pattern on one of the walls.  I did finish my butterfly-crystal mobile..... it's quite magical with the midday sun and breeze fluttering the butterflies and mirrors. If she doesn't watch it, I sure will!

But, as I said, I kind of took a pause on the decorating and spent some time refocusing and thinking. I realized that, similar to planning a wedding, it's easy to get caught up in the color scheme and registering for those perfect necessities and getting excited about family coming, and the MAIN event becomes overshadowed. It hit me......hard.... on the way home from work the other night the reality and magnitude of all of this. I was tired and my body hurt and Willow was in a very uncomfortable position with little feet poking my ribs as I was driving. I started patting my side and talking to her and she shifted a little and it struck me that "Oh my, I'm really the mommy". Am I ready, have I prepared myself, have We prepared ourselves to be parents, what are we missing, what should we be doing, thinking, reading, praying to get ready????? I thought back to our wedding planning time and remembered experiencing very similar feelings and how I had pulled back from all the wedding details and planning specifics, retreated into my room and asked God to show me, work on me, prepare me for this new role. It was a sweet time and I'm so thankful He stopped me in my tracks and captured my attention from the distractions back to the MAIN thing.
So I've been reclusive a bit lately, refocusing and soaking in the reality of this life changing event that I know I couldn't possibly be fully prepared for. I've been thinking about what I hope for Willow, what do I want for her, from me more than anything. I pray for the obvious things of wonderful health, a sharp, inquisitive mind, a kind, generous heart towards others. I wouldn't complain about an excellent little athlete or super star student or socially skilled, charming child. But above all, I want her to love the Lord. I beg for, cry for her to have an insatiable hunger for Jesus, to want to know Him and love Him so much more than she does me. To be content and comforted by learning about Him and His truths, to want to spend time alone with Him. 
My sister recently told us about Max, her four year old, coming into the living room and proclaiming "Mom, lets praise God. You don't have to close your eyes, you just tell Him." Right then and there, they praised God. It brings tears to my eyes to think of Max's little heart desiring that, and acting on it at that instant. Oh, that's so what I long and hope for our little Willow, that she just has to praise God because she can't stand not too. 

5 comments:

USANDCO said...

Ohwee, babies are such wonderful tools in God's hands. It's amazing how that little life can be used, even before it arives on the scence, to draw us back to the Perfect Parent's heart in need and gratitude and awe. Of course we are never fully prepared but allowing the Holy Spirit to search our heart and recapturing the perfect love of the Father experientially is a good place to start. Only when we align ourself with God's will and abide in Christ can we point that little person in the right direction to Him, they watch as much as they listen. It's so exciting to watch you and Justin begin this incredible journey into parenthood. It will change, challenge and bless you more than you can expect! I love the pictures of the room, it's wonderfully tranquil. What a great environment to be brought home to.
Beck

USANDCO said...

I am so glad to hear from your heart. Your time to pause and hope and ponder the true essentials of Willow's life causes me to do the same for our niece. We too pray for the day, the moments, when Willow cannot contain her praise for the one, true God. She's up to a good start with the unconditional love of her parents who yearn for her faith, her adoration for Jesus.

You are preparing her room, her haven so well. She will be introduced early to the intricacies of butterflies, the mesmerizing power of light reflected, the wisdom and strength of family.

Aunt Kassie

clare adams said...

o!@ i just cried reading your post about max and your desires for willow...i admit to being so full of sleeplessness and dirty diapers and trying to fit in playing and really seeing my kids amidst all that is going on that i often MISS truly praying for their hearts towards the Lord...and reading your posts just brought back the importance of that for me...above all the day to day...

Rachel S said...

How Beautiful! This post made me tear up! I am so proud of you and you are going to be an unbelievable mother!!

Katie said...

ok - but don't pause too long - I need an update - any update - blog about anything, indigestion, anything :)

love you and miss you,
k