Thursday, August 21, 2008

Trains a comin'...

The past week has been really good for me. As I've entered into the third trimester (shout for joy!), my thoughts and energies have begun to shift. When I first learned I was pregnant, I immediately began thinking of labor....how I wanted to do it and how to prepare myself. I quickly put that out of my mind because I had 9 whole months to think about it and frankly, it's just not as fun to ponder as baby names and nursery decorations. But now it's starting to stare me in the face from the not to distant future and I'm picking up that pebble again. While in my head and deepest hearts desire I imagine a natural birth, I am fully able to admit that I'm not nearly brave enough to commit to that 100% and had better not set myself up for disappointment.  As my Mom so eloquently has said about her own laboring realizations, "this trains a comin' and there's no stopping it"..... and I just might need some medicinal assistance with that train. To explore my options, I went to the library and found a Lamaze and the basics of labor DVD. It was actually really helpful and gave me a little boost of confidence while remaining very practical and honest that labor is just going to be plain old hard, uncomfortable work. I was so gung-ho, I accidentally woke Justin up from a nap with my practice breathing... from the look on his face, I think he thought I was really going into labor. I have a feeling he'll need some relaxation techniques more than I will :-)

2 comments:

USANDCO said...

That train is a comin'! Yay, com on Willow. As much as I carry on about the agonies of child birth there is nothing quite like it. It's amazing how your body knows what to do and in some ways you're just along for the ride. And when it's all over you are in awe that you are stronger and more resillient than you ever thought possible. Not to mention you have this miraculous, captivating little person that makes every pain more than worth it. You can do it!
Beck

Unknown said...

I was the "earth-mama, hippie girl" from Austin, TX whose high school ambition was to be a midwife on a commune. I was fascinated with natural child birth. You can imagine the disappointment I felt when the doctor told me that I was going to have to have an emergency C-section. My heart sank, but I was ready to have the baby... NOW, and didn't put up too much of a fight. Needless to say, as soon as I came out of my groggy stupor (in the old days they put every woman to sleep), all was forgotten about the "how" I delivered (except when I had to cough)and all my attention was on the wonderful miracle that lay in my arms. You are right to want to focus on the gift you are about to receive, but it is our nature to worry. When it's all said and done, the memories of the labor soften and the first feeling of intense, uncontrollable love live with you in big, gushy memories. And your children will love to hear about it! While Volksmarching in Germany, Justin frequently requested stories be told about when he was little. He'd have me tell the same ones over and over. I have to say, I loved telling them as much as he loved hearing them... he was, after all, a cute kid that did really cute things.
I love you three and look forward to seeing you soon.
Lola